You are here

Ways to Give


Cash Donations
Most gifts to the Foundation take this form, and it is as easy as writing a check, using your MasterCard, Visa or Discover card, or securely donating online. Checks should be made payable to the Oakland Parks and Recreation Foundation, and mailed to PO Box 13267, Oakland, CA 94661.

Gifts of Appreciated Property
With careful planning, charitable gifts of long-term appreciated securities or real estate can create very favorable tax benefits, such as the elimination of paying long-term capital gains tax and receiving an income tax charitable deduction.

Gifts through wills and bequests can provide you with the opportunity to honor and sustain your family name in conjunction with the Foundation name recognition program. The Foundation will work with you and your attorney to provide you with the language necessary to insure that your intentions are clearly expressed.

Life Income/Charitable Trusts
Charitable Trusts and charitable gift annuities offer an opportunity to make a substantial gift to the Foundation without forfeiting the annual income produced by these assets. You can retain income for your life and the life of your spouse. This gift can also be structured to create a substantial tax benefit over a period of years.

Matching Gifts
Many companies will match your contribution to the Foundation. Submit your company's matching gift form with your contribution and it can significantly increase your support and associated giving level.

Life Insurance
Many, if not most people, own some form of life insurance. Life insurance can play a very important part in planned charitable giving. Life insurance for charitable purposes can be accomplished by 1) the transfer of ownership of an existing policy to the Foundation, or 2) the purchase of life insurance which names the Foundation as the beneficiary and/or owner.

Gifts of goods or services can be of great financial assistance to the Foundation, while offering the donor a tax deduction for the fair market value of the gift. Please consult your tax advisor or contact the Foundation for further information.