Budget Season is Back
Make your voice heard at a neighborhood
budget conversation in March
A Message from Mayor Schaaf:
Next week, I begin a series of community conversations across Oakland to hear directly from you about your priorities for the city's FY 2017-19 budget.
These informal gatherings aim to make the budget process as fun, engaging and accessible as possible, and are consistent with the events I convened in the previous budget cycle (FY 15-17), which encouraged residents to attend neighborhood discussions, participate in online conversations, and to make their voice heard through budget surveys available on the City website and via social media (#oakbudget).
We currently have the following neighborhood forums scheduled, and look forward to announcing others in the Fruitvale district, Chinatown, and Eastmont neighborhood in the coming days.
- Wednesday, March 8, 7 - 8:30PM, North Oakland Community Charter School, 1000 42nd Street, hosted by the Longfellow Community Association.
- Monday, March 13, 11AM - 1PM, East Oakland Senior Center, 9255 Edes Avenue.
- Tuesday, March 14, 6:30 - 8:30PM, East Oakland Boxing Association, 816 98th Avenue, hosted by East Oakland Collective.
- Wednesday, March 22, 6:00 - 8PM, Sullivan Community Space (West Oakland), 1671 8th Street, hosted by the Prescott Neighborhood Council.
- Wednesday, March 29, 7 - 9PM, Hiller Highlands Country Club, 110 Hiller Drive, hosted by the North Hills Community Association.
As in 2015, my forthcoming budget proposal will keep a focus on investments that will help responsibly grow the City's economy and permanent revenue base so we're able to meet our long-term financial obligations and provide all of the vitally needed services in the future so Oakland can become a healthier, safer, more equitable, and prosperous community.
After hearing from you, I will present my proposed budget to the City Council.
I look forward to making sure the diverse voices of Oakland are reflected in my budget proposal, so please let your friends and neighbors know how they can make their voices heard.
Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 6:00pm to 8:00pm